Is there a time where you got out of bed in the morning and experienced a too painful low back pain? It can be aggravated by improper movement when getting out of bed, wherein it’s very tempting to turn, push your back and immediately get up. There’s a shear force that can aggravate your low back pain.
In this post, we will share two movements to help you spare the spine or reduce low back pain that can come up with certain actions. When we talked about spine sparing movements, we want to decrease the shear force going through the low back.
But what is a shear force?
Shear force happens when one vertebrae slide forward or backwards on the vertebrae underneath it. It’s like there is a shifting movement across the spine. And when we have low back pain, it can be very aggravating.
So, maybe you’re asking how I can get out of bed in the morning with back pain, and below, we will share the ideal movements or spine sparing movements that reduce the rotation to the spine by compression or by stiffening the spine.
What is the best way to get out of bed with low back pain?
Here’s how to log roll when getting out of your bed:
- First, slide to the side to give enough space when you turn or roll like a log.
- Then, roll your hips and shoulders simultaneously while you are turning at your side while you are bending your knees. Also, your chest and trunk should stay in line with your turn.
- Drop your leg while you push up your arms off the side of your bed to come up with a seated position.
- Those small movements can help you minimize the twisting of your spine, which can reduce low back pain. The key here is to reduce the twist and stiffen the spine push off to get up.
Next is getting up with a seated position.
- First Slide closer to the edge.
- Put your feet flat on the ground and then slide forward up. In here, you will do some pelvic tilting, bring the hip upwards or titling the hip back until you find a position that is a little bit more comfortable. Or, you may also get closer to the edge of the sit so that you can achieve stable footing, so both feet are planted on the ground, and you want the weight of the body on the heel of the foot so as you can lean forward, you’re going to shift your body weight.
You may also refer to the video below as Dr. Abraham Pan discussed the spine sparing movements when getting out of the bed.
What can you do to prevent getting lower back pain?
Aside from using an ideal position to get out from bed, it is also vital to adopt habits that can help you protect your spine and avoid getting low back pain.
Good posture matters
The bad posture you maintain when sitting or standing puts extra pressure on your lower back. Try to retain your lumbar area in its natural position of a forward arch to maintain an optimum posture that reduces lower back pain. Maintaining a more natural posture and relieving tension may be accomplished via the use of ergonomic furniture.
Even when you sleep, you must give the proper support to your spine. You can do it by lying on a medium-firm mattress. Then, place a pillow between your legs or knees while you sleep on your side to reduce the pressure on your spine.
You may also read about:
Get moving – exercise your core.
Work on core exercises that help you strengthen the muscles on the low back and abdomen. In this way, it can help you to stabilize your spine. Try to include back and abdomen strengthening exercises at least two times a week in your routine to make your back stronger and more flexible.
You are keeping your food nutritious and won’t put extra stress on your body if you maintain excellent eating habits.
If you are having problems with your back, it’s time to seek professional help. Let our Coquitlam Chiropractor or a Surrey Chiropractor help you.
Evergreen is Everywhere for Everyone – Let’s Help You Achieve Your Health and Wellness Goals
At Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam, we have licensed chiropractors that provide best-in-class chiropractic care.
We don’t only have chiropractors in Coquitlam, we also have chiropractors in Surrey that are always ready to provide patients in these areas with custom and high-quality care.
Moreover, we also have chiropractors in Langley that can help you.