Medical Braces & Supplies
Here at Evergreen Rehab and Wellness we offer a diverse selection of medical braces and devices to aid our patients in their active rehabilitation and manage their pain. For more information on medical braces and how they can help you live a healthy, pain free life, please click here. Our medical experts are proud to carry only the highest quality medical braces designed for our patients comfort and healing in mind. While some medical braces and supplies can be bought over the counter they are often produced with cost effectiveness in mind and lack the comfort level and precision of a physiotherapy approved device. The medical devices and products we at Evergreen carry in our Coquitlam/Lougheed offices are designed with comfort in mind and to specifically target problem areas of the body. For more information on the various devices we carry please click here.
We offer a wide array of braces to choose from, for more information on what types of medical braces we carry and which one could be right for your please click here.
For patients who fear a higher cost for one of our medical devices there is no fear. Our medical braces and devices are covered under most extended/auxiliary medical insurance. Furthermore, both ICBC and Worksafebc cover our quality medical braces on a patient by patient basis. If you need a new medical brace or device we urge you to book an appointment where our medical experts will help assess your case. To book an appointment simply call our number, walk in or simply click here.
What Are Medical Braces And Why Are They Used
Medical, otherwise known as orthopedic, braces are a category of medical devices used to treat and speed the rehabilitation of the body's musculature and bone/joint-related issues. Medical braces are most often used in the alignment and position correction as well as to help protect and support affected areas of the body. Specifically braces are used in the treatment of the bodies muscles and joints for pain relief or movement rehabilitation. Medical braces are also used to help set or reposition a damaged bone. Medical devices such as medical braces are usually prescribed to aid a patient's recovery process and prevent further injury to that area of the body. For those believe they require a medical brace it is highly recommended to seek a doctor’s recommendation as unneeded prolonged use of a medical brace can create stiffness and irritation to the body
Here at Evergreen we utilize medical braces for the treatment of our patients in various ways.some of the uses are:
- To stop limbs or joints from moving for a certain period of time. We do this because it is very important when attempting to heal specific body parts that could be hurt or cause harm if moved
- For restricting or for assisting the bodies movement such as taking weight off of injured joints or muscles
- In order to correct the body parts function or shape to improve that part of the body’s mobility
- Patients who have suffered bone fractures or breaks can be recommended a medical brace in order to speed up musculoskeletal rehabilitation.
Types Of Medical Braces
Here at Evergreen Rehab and Wellness in our Coquitlam/Lougheed offices our experts have grouped our medical braces are generally into two categories. We do this for both ease of service and to ensure our patients have the same quality of device regardless of location. Our categories broadly described as the upper limbs and lower limbs. Upper limb braces are used to define the medical braces affecting the shoulders, collarbones, arms, back, hands and wrists. Our Lower limb braces are those that affect the feet, ankles, legs and knees. For more information on our quality tested medical braces please click on any of the following (each of the following should be a link or drop down menu for further information)
- Lower back (lumbar) brace
- Knee brace
- Ankle brace
- Compression socks
- Wrist brace
Lower Back/Lumbar Brace
lower back braces are utilized as an effective treatment for some spinal and/or back problems. Often a lower back brace is used to aid the spine healing process by protecting and supporting the back. Lower back braces are usually prescribed by a patient's physician or one of our medical professionals. We know the importance of wearing a lumbar brace and ensure our patients have the proper educational instructions on how to wear our devices. This is crucial to preventing further injury to the lower back. Our experts based in our Coquitlam/Lougheed, can recommend a lower back brace for the following reasons.
- In order to give solid support to the spinal column. This is because a lumbar brace adds stability to your body and thus can support an otherwise unstable or weakened lower back. It does this by holding the back and torso in a specific posture designed to aid the natural healing process of the body and to protect against further injuries
- Reduction of painful pressures the spinal column or lower back. At Evergreen we recommend a lumbar brace in order to redistribute a portion of our patients bodyweight that would usually be placed on the lower back. The effect of the brace in this instance is the reduction of painful pressure on the bodies joints and spinal discs in the process reducing pressure on the spine’s joints, discs, and muscles.
- Ensure the body is stable for a quicker healing process. Our lower back braces are recommended for patients who see to restrict or impair certain movements of the body in order for the back to heal. In addition, it prevents movements that would be considered painful, such as bending down or twisting the spine.
Here at Evergreen Rehab and Wellness we are proud to offer a diverse selection of knee braces designed to fit our patients various needs. Knee supports used to relieve pressure and manage pain that can be caused by knee problems or weakness. Our experts recommend knee braces to be worn by athletes working out to prevent knee related injuries. Either the patient's physician or one of our medical experts will recommend when and what type of knee brace a patient should purchase for optimal health benefits. We offer a wide variety of high quality knee braces for our experts or a patient's physician can recommend including:
- Functional braces; this type of knee brace is used to help stabilize knees that have been injured before and may be weaker as a result. We recommend this form of brace to athletes, usually after a major injury has healed so it minimizes the chances of it becoming injured again.
- Rehabilitative braces; this type of brace is temporary and utilized in the weeks immediately following a major injury or surgery. It is used to support and keep the knee stabilized while it heals.
- Unloading braces; This knee brace is used in order to help relieve knee joint pain that occurs as a result of arthritis
- Prophylactic braces; We recommend this form of knee brace for patients wanting knee protection from future injuries. This form of brace is most often recommended to athletes in sports like soccer, football and bodybuilding.
- Knee sleeves; While not a brace technically, knee sleeves are by far the most common treatment when looking for knee support. Knee sleeves are designed similarly and with a similar purpose to compression socks. That is, they are used to support the knee if there is weakness and manage pain and possible swelling in the knee area.
AT Evergreen Rehab and Wellness we offer a range of ankle brace designed to fit our patients individual needs. An ankle brace is placed around one or both ankles in order to provide protection and support for that area of the body. While restricting movement to a few positions it allows the body to heal much more efficiently from sprains and minor injuries to the ankle and foot. The main purpose of an ankle brace is to restrict the ankle movements while providing both compression of the injury and heat that your body generates to speed up the healing process. Ankle Braces are commonly used when rehabilitating injured muscles or ligaments in the ankle.
Compression socks or stockings are not a technical brace, but operate in the same manner a medical brace does. Compression socks are used to provide a constant pressure at a specific level to the bodies legs. It is most often utilized to improve or maintain the quality of blood flow coming and going to the legs. Compression socks are also used to reduce or manage leg pain as a result of swelling. Compression socks can be recommended to patients from one of our medical professional or prescribed by a patient's physician. It is most often prescribed to treat both varicose veins, or swelling in the body leg veins, or lymphedema which is the swelling of soft tissue.
A wrist brace is a medical brace used to stabilize, support and protect the wrists. They are used as both a rehabilitation and preventative measures. Wrist braces are often used to further injury and allowing for a speedier healing process. Wrist braces are one of the most common methods of treatment to rehabilitate injured or weakened wrists. They work by restricting or immobilizing the wrist joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments as well as providing compression.