Acupuncture is a highly effective form of traditional Chinese medicine that has been perfected over centuries to treat both long and short term pain in the neck, back and joints. Additionally, acupuncture is a popular and effective choice in treating certain forms of anxiety and insomnia. Acupuncture promotes the balance and flow of energy through the body. Thin sterile needles are inserted by hand at specific acupuncture points (known as acupoints) to both treat pain and restore the body's natural rhythm.
Our acupuncturists are highly trained, professional and ready to serve you. If you would like more information on what is acupuncture please click here. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of acupuncture to see if it is right for you, please click here. Finally, If you wish to know more about our various acupuncture treatments and techniques click here.
For people living in Surrey, Guilford, New Westminster, Langley or Delta our Surrey Location is ideally located for your needs. If you are in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Lougheed or New Westminster our Lougheed office is right there waiting for you. At Evergreen you can book an appointment for an acupuncture treatment at either our Surrey or Lougheed locations online by simply clicking here.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture was originally developed in China nearly a thousand years ago. Acupuncture is seen as an effective and evolving holistic treatment for a variety of ailments relating to pain, anxiety and insomnia. Between the 14th and 16th centuries the principal manual on acupuncture, called The Great Compendium of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, was published. It contained the main principles of acupuncture and the foundation on which the modern practices rest. The book describes 365 points that represent openings through which needles can be inserted to modify the flow of Qi. Additionally, the bronze statues used in modern acupuncture examinations were first dated to the 15th century.
Traditional acupuncture believes that energy flows within the human body. This energy, called qi or “chee” can be channelized to create and maintain a person's physical health and spiritual balance. Acupuncture believes that this qi moves throughout the body along 12 main channels known as meridians. These meridians represent the major organs and functions of the body. These meridians however do not follow the exact pathways of nerves or blood flow. In order to effectively treat ailments of the body acupuncture is complemented and supported by use of massage, diet, herbs and heat therapy or moxibustion.
What are the Benefits of Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is used to treat a myriad of ailments. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) there are thirty one symptoms, conditions and diseases that can be treated with acupuncture. Some of the most commonly sought after benefits include improving blood circulation and removing pressure from specific area of the body. Additionally, acupuncture is a popular treatment for headaches, arthritis in the joints and spinal pain. Acupuncture treatment helps to relax tightened and contorted muscles and is most effective against muscle contractions.
What Acupuncture treatments do we offer?
At Evergreen Rehab and Wellness we offer a variety of acupuncture treatments tailored to suit our patients various needs. in both our Surrey and Coquitlam/Lougheed locations we are happy to offer our clients:
Acupressure & Tui-na
Acupressure is an acupuncture technique developed in China over a thousand years ago. Acupressure applies the same principles as acupuncture to promote relaxation, wellness, and to treat disease without the use of needling. This technique is sometimes called pressure acupuncture. Here at Evergreen Rehab and Wellness we are happy to offer Acupressure for those looking to try an alternative form of acupuncture to treat their symptoms or provide aide to a patient's active rehabilitation.
Our acupressure experts use their fingers, palms, elbows and feet to apply pressure to the body's trigger points. We at Evergreen recommend complementing your acupressure with stretching or a massage treatment to maximise effectiveness. These sessions are fully clothed. The patient lies on the table while our professionals gently press on your body's acupressure points. At Evergreen we recommend at least 3 of these sessions to maximise results.
Facial rejuvenation acupuncture is a unique form of acupuncture originally designed for patients with paralyzed facial muscles. The treatment was found to have effective anti-aging effects on the facial structure, so much so that it was transformed into a program for anti-aging and beauty.
Facial rejuvenation acupuncture is centered around two key benefits, local and root. Local treatment directly deals with physical aging symptoms on a person's face. Root treatment , treats the underlying cause of facial symptoms such as hormonal balance, digestive problems or emotional stress. Utilizing both local and root treatments are important if long lasting effects are sought after.
Injection therapy, also known as regenerative acu-injection (RAI), is a method of acupuncture therapy that promotes the bodies natural self-healing process by stimulating specific anatomic sites with injections. Injection therapy is a combination of the thousands years old healing technique of Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture combined with modern medical science. Injection therapy consists of 5 primary Injection techniques.
1. Tendon traction & nerve entrapment point, and sympathetic nerve entrapment point injection are treatments which give the most dramatic results. This treatment can improve various chronic conditions and provide pain relief.
2. Acu-point injection is an acupuncture method whereby specific body parts are given injections with biologically active substances which help regulate a person's physiology. These injections are used to treat pain, swelling, inflammation and toxin accumulation in the bodies trigger points. Most injections cause only minor discomfort because they are very shallow injections, given just under the skin or into the muscle.
3. Acu-trigger point injection deals primarily with muscular, nerve and fascia pain. This type of pain usually comes from the aftermath of a physical injury like accident caused chronic low back pain.
4. Acu-prolo injection is a non-surgical acupuncture based ligament reconstruction and is a permanent treatment for chronic pain. This treatment causes the proliferation of new ligament tissue in areas where it has become weak.
5. Acu-ozone injection therapy, also known as "chemical acupuncture", is a form of non-surgical ligament reconstruction and is a permanent treatment for chronic pain. It is a connective tissue injection therapy which can reconstruct damaged or weakened connective tissue in and around joints. Both needle and gas injections have a role in eliciting a complex series of chemical and neurological reactions leading to the disappearance of discomfort in the majority of patients with low spinal pain.
Cupping therapy dates to the early fourth century, when the noted herbalist Ge Hong wrote about a form of cupping in a pharmacology text. Cupping therapy is used specifically to decompress adhesions and scar tissue, relax muscles in spasm, decrease trigger point pain, and decrease tissue changes and inflammation following trauma. Consecutive treatments increase muscle endurance, circulation, increase lymphatic drainage and enhances overall ability to recover from workouts and strenuous activity.