|Visit our Location|
Surrey | Coquitlam
|Give us a Call|
604 498 5859
|Send us a Mesage|
Monday to Saturday
Concussion Management Program
Concussion Management Program
The concussion management program at Evergreen Clinic offers comprehensive evaluation and exclusive treatment for concussion or sport-related concussion injuries. Our dedicated team includes a number of therapists: Medical Doctors, Chiropractors, Physiotherapists, Kinesiologist, Clinical Counsellors, and other healthcare professionals that manage concussion injuries and help patients to safely get back to their routine life. If you are someone who is suffering from a concussion, then Evergreen clinic is the right place for you to get the highest quality of concussion treatment.
A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury that occurs when a blow or jolt to the head disrupts the normal functioning of the brain. It also occurs after a whiplash-type injury due to which the head and brain start to shake back and forth. Concussions are common in people that play aggressive sports such as football, basketball, rugby, and hockey.
Facts about Concussion
- The children of age (10-18 years) in Canada that visits for sport-related injury are diagnosed with concussion by 39%, and 24% with possible concussion.
- It takes 7 to 10 days for the symptoms to disappear in every 9 out of 10 people with concussions.
- More than 85 per cent of concussions are cured, but only if managed correctly.
- A person that returns to sports or other athletic activities without having proper treatment of concussion has a higher chance of prolonged problems.
The repetitive head injury is a risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease and its signature beta-amyloid protein brain plaques.
Causes of Concussion
The most common cause of concussion is a sports injury, fall, assault, and motor vehicle accident.
SYMPTOMS OF CONCUSSION
A concussion is an invisible injury and symptoms of concussion may vary depending on the severity of the injury. The symptoms of concussion may occur immediately; however, some symptoms might remain unnoticed for days or weeks after injury. One must note that loss of consciousness does not always occur with a concussion. Only a few people are out of consciousness whereas others are confused or dazed. The most common symptoms are:
- Physical Symptoms: such as nausea, neck pain, dizziness, loss of senses of taste, and smell, prolonged fatigue, sleep disturbance, headache, loss of balance, and tiredness.
- Emotional and Social symptoms: such as uneasiness, crying, sadness, memory loss, changes in personality, nervousness, and avoidance to face people.
- Cognitive symptoms: such as difficulty in paying attention or concentration, difficulty in following directions, sensitivity to light, confusion, slow in thinking, reading, speaking, and acting.
Diagnosis of Concussion
The diagnosis of concussion starts with a neurological and physical examination. The doctor will evaluate the signs and symptoms, review the medical history, and will try to ask
questions related to the occurrence of the injury. The doctor may look for changes in eye movements, light sensitivity or change in pupil size. However, in serious cases involving bleeding or swelling of the brain, the doctor may request for a CT scan or MRI of the brain. On another side, a series of test i.e. multimodal baseline test is also conducted to have an overview of the healthy brain functioning before concussion injury.
Treatment of Concussion at Evergreen Clinic
The treatment for concussion is dependent upon the level of complexity and varies from case-to-case. The doctors at Evergreen clinic are experts in evaluating and providing treatment to people who have had concussions. The treatment of concussion includes the following approaches.
- The first approach is to give therapy and education to the patient as well as their families for having better management of symptoms of a concussion.
- It is advised to take plenty of physical as well as mental rest for at least 24-48 hours after a concussion.
- The doctor will ask to avoid sports-related activities, take some time off from school or work, and avoid riding or driving during the initial stages of injury.
- If the symptoms continue more than 7-10 days, the vestibular rehabilitation therapy is conducted to improve symptoms caused by concussion injury.
- The patients are also advised to have a balanced diet and provided with different types of exercise therapies for relaxing.
- The patients scoring lower than 7/10 for the symptom of concussion are prepared to take the buffalo concussion treadmill test (BCTT).
The concussion management program at Evergreen Clinic is dedicated to treating people suffering from a concussion. It is recommended to have an appointment with our expert healthcare to get the most appropriate treatment and advice for speedy recovery from a concussion.