How Do You Become a Chiropractor in British Columbia and Canada?
Chiropractors in Canada are experts in the spine, muscle, and nervous systems. They can help patients get away from pain and prevent it – that’s why this is among the interesting jobs in BC, and we have received some questions about it.
Among the interesting questions we have ever received is becoming a chiropractor in BC or Canada. A chiropractor is indeed an interesting profession. As one of the Chiropractors in Coquitlam and Surrey, we’ve experienced how valuable this profession is.
Based on Canadian Chiropractic Association, currently, there are more than 9,000 Chiropractors in Canada. To become a Doctor of Chiropractor (D.C.), each Chiropractor has finished a rigorous academic and practical education and passed a provincial licencing examination.
But, what really takes to be a Chiropractor in BC?
Did you know that Chiropractors do not only go to a school for a year? As mentioned earlier, every chiropractor in BC or Canada has undergone a rigorous academic and practical education.
Before they take a provincial licencing examination, all Chiropractors in Canada have at least seven years of university-level education. And, they underwent a post-graduate specialization to advance their skills further. They can focus on sports sciences, radiology, clinical sciences, orthopedics, and rehabilitation.
To practice Chiropractic care in Canada, Chiropractors have undergone the following:
To study to a Doctor of Chiropractic program requires the following
- Must have best academic standings
- With at least three-year university program or equivalent
Every Chiropractor needs to have:
- Graduate of 4-year of Doctor of Chiropractic program
- Finished over 4200 hours extensive chiropractic program having a focus on Human Anatomy, Biomechanics, Physiology, and chiropractic manual therapy
All practicing Chiropractors in BC or Canada need to complete a hands-on clinical experience.
- They completed over 1000 hours (from the 4200 hours) in clinical settings with the supervision of a highly qualified clinician. During this period, they experienced handling clinical assessments, diagnosis, treatment, and referral protocols.
After the extensive academic and practical education, a Chiropractor needs to pass a licencing examination—the standardized board exam test a Chiropractor’s knowledge in sciences, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment.
- There is a need to successfully pass the comprehensive national examination administered by the Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board (CCEB).
- Chiropractors educated outside of Canada need to pass the same exam to become licensed chiropractors in Canada
To start to practice as a Doctor of Chiropractic, it needs to register to the following:
- In British Columbia (BC), a Chiropractor needs to register under the College of Chiropractors of British Columbia (CCBC) – the provincial regulatory Chiropractic governing body.
Learn more about the registration requirements here.
Throughout the Practice
A Chiropractic needs to maintain an active standing according to the regulations. He must be mentally and physically competent to practice Chiropractic care. It is also essential to get updated with new research and treatment options.
Also, in Canada, to further advance their skills, a Chiropractor can take a post-graduate specialization. Currently, there are five post-graduate specialty colleges in Canada. It focuses on sciences, radiology, Clinical sciences, orthopedics, and rehabilitation.
Frequently Asked Questions about Chiropractor:
How many years does it take to become a chiropractor in Canada?
As mentioned above, it takes at least seven (7) years to become a chiropractor in Canada.
Are Chiropractors regulated in Canada?
Same as other health care professions. Chiropractic is a regulated profession governed by provincial legislation in each of Canada’s ten provinces. Each province has a regulatory college such as BC – the College of Chiropractors of British Columbia (CCBC).
Got More Questions?
At Evergreen Rehab and Wellness, we are always happy to answer your question. Don’t hesitate to contact us through our contact page or our social media accounts.
Learn more about Chiropractic care here.
Evergreen is Everywhere for Everyone – Let’s Help You Achieve Your Health and Wellness Goals
At Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam, we have licensed chiropractors that provide best-in-class chiropractic care.
We don’t only have chiropractors in Coquitlam, we also have chiropractors in Surrey that are always ready to provide patients in these areas with custom and high-quality care.
Moreover, we also have chiropractors in Langley that can help you.
You may contact us through the following:
Chiropractic Clinic in Coquitlam
- Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam
- Email:[email protected]
- Telephone Number: 604.449.5859
- Book Online Today!
Chiropractic Clinic in Surrey
- Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Surrey
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone Number: 604.498.5859
- Book Online Today!
Ready to book a Chiropractic appointment at Evergreen Rehab and Wellness Clinic? Call us at 604-449-5859 or 604-498-5859 or click the button below. We will help you to enjoy a painless and healthy lifestyle.