What You Need to Know About Low Level Laser Therapy?
One of the conservative care solutions that are widely used right now is the use of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) or known as laser therapy. Based on pubmed.gov there are over 4000 basic science researches and clinical studies. With its low complication rate, it was suggested to be a first-line treatment solution for various conditions. It can help conditions such as acute neck or back pain, tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, mild carpal tunnel syndrome, and ligamentous sprain.
Laser therapy is not only used in a medical setting but is also present in treating sports injuries. LLLT is indeed a promising solution. If you haven’t heard, read or experience this kind of treatment, you may be wondering how it works.
So, let us enlighten you about laser therapy.
What is Low-Level Laser Therapy or Laser Therapy?
Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is also known as phototherapy, cold or soft laser therapy or low energy laser therapy, or just laser therapy. It is a therapeutic physical modality that uses photons of light energy from the visible and infrared spectrum for the healing of the tissue and to reduce pain as defined by the North American Association of Laser Therapy.
As it emits light energy this will then penetrates the skin and will be absorbed by the mitochondria of cells (of all types). Then, this light energy will be converted into biochemical energy which will help the restoration of normal cell function. This process may take about 24 hours.
What are the effects of LLLT?
Among the major benefits of applying laser therapy are the following:
- Reduction or elimination of acute and chronic pain
- Reduction of inflammation and swelling
- Circulation and Angiogenesis will increase
- Improves Nerve Function
- Improve and Increases Muscle Function and Mobility
Major Conditions Treated by Laser Therapy
Based on studies, LLLT can specifically help various types of musculoskeletal conditions. Also,among major conditions that can be treated by this modality are the following:
- Arthritis (osteo and rheumatoid)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (repetitive strain injuries)
- Acute and chronic pain conditions (post-operative, neuralgia, fibromyalgia, or muscle tension/spasms)
- Soft Tissue Injuries, strains, and sprains
- Wounds (post-operative, acute, and chronic)
- Swelling and edema
- Inflammatory conditions (e.g. tendonitis, bursitis)
- Bone fractures and orthopedic implant
What Researches Say About Low-Level Laser Therapy?
There are various existing researches that provide pieces of evidence on how the low-level laser therapy works. To see the effectiveness of this modality below is the results from various studies.
- Help Non-pharmacological Pain Control in Chronic Pain and Osteoarthritis – In 2018 review of literature from Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine shows that utilization of LLLT for pain management and osteoarthritic conditions may be a complementary strategy to use in clinical practice to help patients suffering from osteoarthritis and chronic pain.
- Treating Plantar Fasciitis – A 2019 meta-analysis study shows the efficacy of low-level laser therapy in plantar fasciitis. It can help to relieve heel pain and its efficacy can last for 3 months after the treatment.
- Effectiveness on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – A meta-analysis showed that LLLT can help in improving handgrip, VAS, and SNAP after 3 months of follow-up for mild to moderate Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, yet there is still a need to confirm the effects of low-level laser therapy on CTS using a high-quality study.
Laser Therapy at Evergreen Rehab and Wellness as Part of Chiropractic
View this post on Instagram
At Evergreen Rehab and Wellness we are using the MedX Phototherapy Treatment Systems as part of our chiropractic care. This is essential to help our patients embrace a healthy, natural, and pain-free life.
The use of MedX Phototherapy Treatment Systems can help in accelerating tissue healing, reducing pain, and decreasing edema and inflammation. It can ideally help to provide improved treatment results for the number of major conditions mentioned above.
The exact frequency of treatment may vary. It will depend on the patient’s results of the assessment and the condition that needs to be treated. In general, below are the ideal schedule of treatment:
For Acute Conditions:
In the first week, it can be daily or 3 times per week. Then after that, it can be 2 to 3 times per week.
For Chronic Conditions:
It can be 2 to 3 times per week which can be up to 15 to 25 treatments.
Having a regular treatment schedule can also help to enhance the accumulative effects of LLLT and its outcomes.
Book for a Chiropractic Appointment Today!
At Evergreen Rehab and Wellness, our chiropractors will do first a thorough assessment of your condition before applying any modes of treatment. They will make sure that laser therapy is ideal for your condition. In addition, they value educating patients and they will explain to you every important detail that you need to know about LLLT.
Evergreen is Everywhere for Everyone – Let’s Help You Achieve Your Health and Wellness Goals
At Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam, we have licensed chiropractors that provide best-in-class chiropractic care.
Moreover, we also have chiropractors in Langley that can help you.
You may contact us through the following:
- Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam
- Email:[email protected]
- Telephone Number: 604.449.5859
- Book Online Today!