New Treatment Alert: Vestibular Physiotherapy in Coquitlam – What You Need to Know?
Experience dizziness, vertigo, or having problems with your balance? These can be symptoms of inner ear issues such as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), Vestibular Neuronitis, Labyrinthitis, Vestibular Migraine, trauma, and many others. And, if this affects your daily lives, you truly need to seek immediate help. The good news is you can get benefit from our new treatment – Vestibular Physiotherapy in Coquitlam.
What is Vestibular Physiotherapy or Vestibular Rehabilitation Program?
Vestibular Physiotherapy is an exercise-based program conducted by a licensed physiotherapist. This can help improve your balance or unsteadiness and reduce symptoms relating to your inner ear problems such as dizziness, vertigo, gaze instability, imbalance falling risk.
Who can benefit from Vestibular Physiotherapy in Coquitlam?
Patients that are commonly referred for Vestibular Physiotherapy are those diagnosed with inner ear problems or any vestibular disorders such as:
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Vestibular migraine
- Vestibular neuronitis /labyrinthitis
- Cervicogenic Dizziness
- Unilateral Vestibular Hypofunction (UVH)
- Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness (PPPD)
- Recurrent Vestibulopathy
However, if you are not yet assessed or diagnosed with any vestibular conditions. Common symptoms that you need to look out for are:
- Dizziness even at rest
- Vertigo or sense of spinning
- Neck pain, including stiffness or tightness
- Frequent Falls
Some of the conditions that can benefit from vestibular rehabilitation are those who have imbalance issues, stroke, trauma, and head injury or have unsteadiness even by just walking. It can also help the elderly with dizziness.
What happens during the first session of Vestibular Physiotherapy?
During your initial assessment, a physiotherapist will conduct a thorough assessment. He or she will check your symptoms and your medical history. The initial assessment may involve checking the following:
- Standing Balance
- Leg Strength or flexibility
- Walking Stability
- Neck Mobility
- Arm and Neck Strength
- Positional testing, including your inner ear condition
- Visual Stability and Mobility
And, based on the result of your assessment, a custom treatment plan will be provided. It will be an exercise program tailored to answer your deficits and reduce the symptoms such as dizziness.
At Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam, the initial assessment and treatment can take about 40 minutes and subsequent treatment can take about 30 minutes.
What are the benefits of Vestibular Physiotherapy?
An article from the Journal of Clinical Neurology about Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy: Review of Indications, Mechanisms, and Key Exercises, shares that the primary goal of vestibular rehabilitation therapy is the following:
- To enhance gaze stability
- Improve posture stability
- Reduce vertigo or dizziness
- To improve activities of daily living
Vestibular Physiotherapy can simply help you and give you the following benefits:
- Improvement on your focus and concentration
- Standing or sitting stability improvement
- Improved stability to gaze
- Improved neck mobility
- Reduced neck pain /stiffness
- Decreased dizziness
- Decreased Nausea
What are the types of exercises you can learn from vestibular physiotherapy?
With vestibular physiotherapy, you can learn three types of exercises. These exercises include:
- Habituation Exercises – these types of exercises can help to reduce the symptoms of dizziness. A treatment
- Gaze Stabilization- these exercises involve visual acuity improvement during head movements
- Balance Training – these can help in improving steadiness and can help to improve walking stability on uneven ground
Does Vestibular Physiotherapy Work?
In most of the studies, you can observe that vestibular physiotherapy has moderate to strong evidence that is safe and effective in treating various vestibular conditions such as unilateral peripheral vestibular hypofunction, chronic dizziness, vestibular migraine, and many others.
However, remember that the benefits of Vestibular Physiotherapy can be achieved through your consistency in performing your exercises and discipline. It is important that you can follow a regular schedule that can easily be incorporated into your daily life.
How to Book for a Vestibular Physiotherapy in Coquitlam?
Currently, Evergreen Rehab & Wellness Coquitlam offers vestibular physiotherapy as part of the new treatment.
To start with your initial session, you may follow the following:
- Go to our booking page or click here.
- Click Vestibular Physiotherapy and Initial Assessment
- And, choose a preferred schedule.
Evergreen is Everywhere for Everyone – Let’s Help You Achieve Your Health and Wellness Goals
At Evergreen Rehab & Wellness – Coquitlam, we have Physiotherapists that will help you achieve your health and wellness goals.
You may contact us through the following: